Monday, July 16, 2012

Reality vs. Eventing

It's the middle of July and I am finally finding the time to sit down with a glass of wine and update y'all on the goings-on. To be perfectly honest, the majority of the spring would be one that I would love to forget and erase forever from my history of my life. My "Little Red" (Houdini) had an unsuccessful move up to Advaced after previously completing 3 CCI2*'s and "Big Red" or Don (Sir Donovan) dumped me at Kentucky. Not a great start to the year. That is the funny thing about horses, one moment you are on top of the world and the next moment you are at the bottom of the heap. If you are going to survive in this business, one must have the tenacity to keep chipping away at it day after day, no matter what.

At Kentucky, I was beyond thrilled that Don actually stayed in the ring this year, he dug deep and settled his nerves about the big arena and did a perfectly obediant dressage test. Not a class winner but we'll take it. I accredit it mostly to Jon Holling's consummate coaching, "Dont F--- Up" was basically the mantra for the week. I did manage to f--- it up on Saturday, but did I mention we finished the test?! Next year I suppose. The course at Kentucky ate a lot of people this year, I had a stupid bobble at a nothing fence because I rode hesitantly and I got what I deserved. There are no excuses other than I underrode and I will not make that mistake again. There is no one to blame but myself, I had the best support in my parents, Jon and his wife Jenn and my wonderful groom. I was well prepared but I neglected to execute. Next year is my year.

Saturday night in Kentucky, the question was, what next? A fit, sound horse that had an unfortunate error on XC.. what do you do? It is not like there is a 4* every weekend.. Oh Yea let me just go to the next one... In Germany... Easy right? I did not really want to pack up and go to Jersey again as Don was 4th in the CCI last year. I barely had the funds for a big trip, maybe Luhmuhlen? This is where it gets difficult, as you are getting older and Mommy and Daddy aren't paying all the bills anymore, you are finding yourself in a more precarious situation. Do I blow it all and run off to Europe for a competition I likely won't win, or spend the money on something that will benefit me, my business and my life in the long run? Such is the reality of life. Sometimes I liken the horse world to a fantasy land, it doesn't always feel like real life to me. I get to spend every day cavorting around with horses in the sunshine while most people my age are stuck in a cube on the 10th floor. Decisions, decisions.

The lease on my farm in Florida was up after Kentucky. I had been trying to find a way to buy the farm for a while but just couldn't make the numbers work. I started to look around at other places to lease, needless to say it was an unwelcome stressor in my life that couldn't have come at a worse time. I found a place on the other side of town, and after digging deeper, it looked like something I had the potential to buy. I couldn't believe it -- me, a farm owner? It was a hugely generous situation on the part of the owner but I ran with it. I used the "what next" money for the down payment and have been a blissful farm owner ever since -- and by blissful I mean tired, sunburnt, achey and crabby but nonetheless, I own a farm! My whole life has turned around. I feel stable, I feel secure, I feel the absolute opposite as I did 3 months ago. Although this summer I may not get to play the Traveling Gypsy role that I am so famous for, I am merrily slaving my days away on the farm, making it my own. I am also merrily digging myself out of debt that is also known as Farm Ownership, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

So here is where we get to plans for the horses! I am double lucky, not only do I own a farm but I STILL own TWO sound upper level horses! Knock wood..!! Hewie has done a couple of Intermediate this summer including a 3rd place finish at Full Gallop. I think he is almost ready to try another Advanced horse trial. For some unknown reason we developed a LCRF (Left-Corner-Runout/Freakout) issue but I think I pretty much have it solved. He is entered at Richland Park's Advanced and Big Red is entered in the CIC3*. I feel Hewie needs to do one more Intermediate in August to prepare so we will run up to River Glen with some students and canter around the OI there. Both Little and Big Reds will do the Full Gallop AI to prepare for Richland although I haven't decided if I will run them XC or not. At home I am chipping away on my exciting home breds, Pickle is becoming an expert trail horse. He is by Silvio I out of my 2* mare Rosetta Stone. I nearly cry every time he stands for me at the mounting block and I swing a leg over him. People who have not produced a horse from a single cell would not understand the amount of time and patience it takes to get one to the point where you can actually sit on its' back. I fondly remember when he was just a black dot on a computer screen, and later, a velociraptor yearling.. He has totally shaped up and he is everything I could have hoped for and more. Cooper, at 2.5 years old, is now longing a little in the round pen and getting a saddle put on him. He is almost ready to be backed. Cooper is out of an eventing TB mare and by a Han/Welsh pony dressage stallion named Hot Shot. He is a fabulous young horse who has been a pleasure for me to produce.

Well, to be honest I really only have plans through Richland. I will keep chipping away at the babies here and my awesome sale horses. I imagine Don and I will return to Fair Hill this fall for the 3rd time to hopefully win the Under 25 Championships. We have been 3rd in 2009 and 4th in 2010 and I intend to bring home the cooler this year. It is my last year, I am getting old. I can almsot taste the crab bisque. Hewie will let me know his schedule after Richland. I will perhaps take him to another Advanced horse trial or maybe try for a CIC 3* this fall. At 8 years old, I am just allowing him to tell me what he is ready for and what he wants to do. \

LIKE the Yellow Rose Eventing page on facebook for pictures of the farm, I promise to take and post them this week!

Until next time,

Katie, Big Red, Little Red and Pickle the Trail Horse

No comments:

Post a Comment