Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ups, Downs and In Betweens

So they say about life with horses, the highs are so high and the lows are so low. It's a sport of extremes. One day you may feel on top of the world, and the next you could be crying in the surgery barn at Peterson and Smith.

Well, the "Up" side is that Donald is great and I finally put my entry in the mail for "the big day". I'm having a really hard time being happy and excited about it because the "Down" side is one of my best friends' horses sustained an injury and is no longer going to be Donald's barn mate at the Horse Park. Special Blend, or Leo, had an inflammatory reaction to an ankle injection and had to be hospitalized. At first the vets thought it was an infection and that would have been devastating, but nothing grew in the culture and he is expected to make a full recovery. I've spent the past few days with Casey and Leo making sure that he (and Casey) was okay and the surgery went well. I know Casey (and everybody, including me) is just thrilled that he is going to be okay and return to competition when he's ready, but I feel like I've lost my co-pilot in this adventure. I feel selfish thinking that, but the fact that I had a great friend to go through this with kept me sane. I'm really feeling the pressure now as we get down to the wire here. I'm terrified of screwing up or something dumb happening. Enter paranoia. I may have to check myself into a psych ward when this is all over.

Actually I feel like I've lost a lot the past 4 months, but maybe it's not such a bad thing. I've realized, in taking 4 months to basically do something for myself, that so many people in my life weren't in it to support me. They were in it for personal gain. Now that I've been gone for 4 months I've realized exactly who matters and who doesn't. I know who the people are who just wanted me around so I could ride their horse, do things for them, invite them to horse shows or just in general wanted my attention and focus. The people who just wanted to be a part of the lifestyle, not a part of my life as a whole. I guess at first I was upset that these people were backing out of my life but then a very smart friend reminded me, you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. The people who matter are still there, ready to pick up exactly where we left off 4 months ago. The people who aren't upset that I haven't spoken to them in 2 weeks because to be honest I haven't had time to speak to anybody really, even my own parents. Those are the people worth keeping. Those are the people that I love. Those are the faces I am going to be looking for as I'm coming down to the Rolex Arch and the finish flags on Saturday.

I'm hoping that when I finally do get home, I can grow this number of faithful friends. I met so many wonderful people at my fundraiser, it was a huge success. I'm blown away by the generosity of our eventing community in Maryland. I was absolutely thrilled to see so many smiling, well-wishing faces at Loch Moy last weekend. For every one shady person out there that I know I met at least 3 or 4 wonderful, amazing people who came out to support Donald and I. I hope these people keep coming, I had a blast with everyone and couldn't have come up with a better way to spend a Saturday. It was a long, tough day as we shuffled horses in and out of our cross country field but we got through it. My clients did such a great job helping, I'm so thankful, my friend Mike made all the food which was amazing and my working student Jax just worked tirelessly before, during and after. Biggest thanks of all goes to my landlord, Carolyn, who generously donated her schooling field for the day so I could use it. Amazing, just amazing.

I know I haven't given much of an update with the horses today but they are doing fantastic. Donald will run again at the Fork 3* and Hewie is now just practicing until his CCI2* in April. They look fit, shiny and happy.

I'll give a shout later in the week after a few lessons and promise to update more about the ponies, because that's what it's all about!!

xoxoxox

Katie, Donald and Hewie

No comments:

Post a Comment