Friday, March 11, 2011

D Day down.. XC tomorrow

Circles and lines are finally over. Dressage day is my most stressful day, basically because I'm not very good at it. I have to work twice as hard to be half as good as some of these guys. The level of dressage proficiency in eventing now is just amazing. Some of these riders and horses are just so, so good. Every time I enter the warm up at an Advanced horse trial, CIC or CCI it's like getting a free riding lesson. Some day I will be that good, I just need to learn how to half pass first.

I was thrilled with both Donald and Hewie. Donald is and always has been a tough one in dressage. When he's bad he's BAD, but even when he's good it's hard to score well. He's a big long horse and it's painfully obvious when he's not engaged and connected. We get called out on it a lot in our tests but I'm learning how to shorten him up and ride him more uphill. Today was probably the most relaxed and attentive he's been in the ring, now I just need to trust that he's not going to blow up anymore and ride him a little bit stronger.

Hewie had a good test today, very focused and steady, I'm struggling now to obtain the "flash factor" necessary to ride a winning test. The horses go quietly and consistantly but now I need more "bling" on my tests. Something to work on for sure.

After walking cross country with Buck, I feel pretty good about it all. The 3* is big of course but doable. The turns and terrain make you want to slow down, but Buck really made a point of telling us to keep galloping where we can, that the course will reward a forward ride. I'll have to remind Donald to suck it in because some of those skinnies are REALLY skinny. The Intermediate course will definitely be the biggest Hewie has ever seen. I expect his eyes to literally be falling out of his skull at the finish line, poor guy. He may be a nervous nellie but he's the most obediant and trusting animal I have ever met. As long as I don't steer him wrong and try to keep him out of trouble he will be just fine.

I do love coming to Tallahassee for this event because it's put on so well. We're lucky to have our stalls right next to the hospitality tent, complete with coffee and all the Krispy Kreme donuts a human (or dog, or Donald) could ask for.

Speaking of dogs.. remind me to buy some leashes for my mutts. Today a lovely man who happens to be the stable secretary here stopped by with the young girl who works with his horses. My younger aussie Roni naturally started to beg for attention from the girl. So we all chatted, and before I knew it, the poor girl was on the ground being rolled on and licked by my dog, knocking her diet coke all over the place, covering Roni and the sweet girl who was just trying to pet her. Instead she was mawled by an attention starved australian shepherd. The girl was soaking wet, I was terribly embarrassed, and Roni was just sticky. As the good horse people they were, they just laughed it off. Leashes.. tomorrow... bad dogs!


Donald runs in the 3* tomorrow around lunchtime and Hewie goes at 3:30. I intend to get out there early to walk some more and mull over lines and distances and such. Wish us luck!

xoxox

k

No comments:

Post a Comment