Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Almost Ready for Red Hills

The first big event of the season is upon us, Red Hills in Tallahassee, Florida. I have the privledge to be running the 3* with Donald and the Intermediate horse trial with Hewie. I'm excited and nervous for this outing, particularly with not one but two big 3-days looming in the not-so-distant future. Hewie will be going to Ocala for his CCI2* and Donald.. well.. he is supposed to do that thing in April.

It's different this year. Everything is. I think everything changes when you have your sights realistically set on a four star. You're that much more demanding on yourself and your attention to detail improves. Every flat lesson, every jump school, everything is that much more important and real. You refuse to let yourself or your horses get away with anything. Perfection isn't something you strive for anymore, it's necessary.

Last year at Red Hills my goal was to get both horses around safely and have a positive, confidence building outing. My goals are the same this year but amplified. Every stride is a step closer to the last week in April. It's a lot of pressure and it's very difficult being a 24-year old Advanced level newbie from modest means trying to deal with it all.

It's even harder trying to push out the other stressors in my life. I'd love to say the background events in my life don't get to me, but they do. They weigh on me and impact my focus. I do my best to "trim the fat" but sometimes it's just unavoidable. Trying to juggle finances, employees leaving, horses coming and going, relationships and general horse world drama is a daily struggle. After all is said and done with the horses, I barely have enough emotion to care for anything else. I guess this is part of being a successful upper level rider, the mental aspect, the "Mind Gym" (from a great book my friend Lainey Ashker gave me. A must read.).

I'm going to try my best to maintain my focus, to give my horses the best possible ride, to maintain a positive attitude and always be hopeful and humble. This weekend is a big one and I'd like to come away from it that much more prepared for "the big day".

Wish us luck! We head out tomorrow!

xoxox

k

No comments:

Post a Comment