Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What I have learned in a year

Well, here we are. Opening day for Kentucky was yesterday. That means it is almost 365 days since the buck heard round the world. I ran the gamut emotionally last year during my competitions, hitting every notch on the spectrum along the way. From being dinged out of the arena at my first 4*, to being top 5 at Jersey Fresh CCI3*, to recieving a grant to go to Montana, to yet another top 5 at Poplar CIC3*, to trekking all the way out to California for a great finish at Galway CCI3*. Aside from my competitions, my whole life in 2011 was unstable at best. Leaving my home in Maryland for 4 months in Florida, moving my business in June, saying goodbye to clients and friends and starting over... 2011 kicked my ass. I've managed to learn a thing or two along the way. Not just about how to be a better rider and competitor, but about life -- about how to be successful in any realm. I am learning what it takes, and there is no other way to learn what it takes besides to try, fail and try again.

1: Be fastidious about your goals.
I made some major life changes in 2011. I quit my successful teaching and training business in Maryland to pursue my riding endeavors. I found myself teaching so much that I was not able to train and compete my own horses. I have two very good horses right now and I credit Buck for being the one to tell me, what are you waiting for, go for it. It was hard to say goodbye to my clients as I love them very much, but this decision was made for me. I learned that is OK to be selfish sometimes. I needed to afford myself the best opportunities to become a better rider and competitor. Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

At the end of 2011, I was sure that my two top 5 placings at the 3* level were going to be enough to "put me on the map", so to speak. I was really hoping for a spot on the Developing Riders list and lord knows I could use the extra coaching. When that did not pan out for me, I was really down. I mean, really down. I found myself questioning if this was what I wanted to do with my life. Was I happy with the direction I was heading? Was I ever going to get ahead? I ticked along with the belief that there were so many people that I couldn't let down. My owners, sponsors, my parents and friends. As the closet genius Bill Cosby once said, the key to failure is trying to please everybody. I contemplated what I really wanted for myself. Thankfully Donald and Hewie got a relaxing 6 weeks off after our cross-country Galway trip. It was a good time for me to refocus. My mom told me that the only person I needed to answer to was myself and she is right. This IS what I want to do and I will do it for myself only.

2: Surround yourself with the right people
"Success is a science. If you have the conditions, you get the result" - Oscar Wilde

Equally as important as it is to having the right training conditions, one must have the right people. People who support you. People who push you. People who want the best for you. People who are truly and genuinely invested in you. I am sad to say that I left a lot of the people at my home in Maryland, but have not struggled to find an additional team here in Ocala. This summer I started riding with Jon Holling and have been blown away at the compassion and interest from both Jon and his wife Jenn. They have been amazing to me. It is a good feeling to have that your coach has a genuine, vested interest in your endeavors. Jenn and Jon are always a phone call away and I know they truly want for my success just as I want it for myself. Peter Gray has been helping me with all of my dressage as he is very good at those circles and such. He has a calm, quiet way of teaching that my horses appreciate. He also taught Jon so the three of us can stay in agreeance and on the same page. It makes me feel good that Jon, Jenn and Peter are so interested in how my horses are going. I know they are all very busy, but to know that they believe in me and keep me in their thoughts makes me believe in myself even more.

I have also kept in good company here at my farm. My good friend Jill Mooney is here from Michigan for the winter, I am hoping she never leaves! She pushes me every day to be better. My Area 8 young riders Mackenzie and Andrea came for a month, and their enthusiasm for the sport really helped recharge my own desire to succeed. Lastly but certainly not least, my working student Lindsay who works tirelessly for these horses. She's up first and in bed last. She is dedication at its' finest. She loves all my horses as they were her own. There is no doubt in my mind who I want at the in gate, finish line, D box, etc... It is Lindsay. She knows these horses inside and out and there is never a second thought in my mind -- She will get the job done. Period.

3: Trust yourself

I certainly don't know it all, but I do know my horses. I live with them. I see them first in the morning and last at night. I have learned from my mistakes last year -- not every program works for every horse or rider. Sometimes it is "square peg round hole". I know what I feel and although I have oodles left to learn, I know enough to tell if it is right or wrong. I will trust my instincts and be a better advocate for my horses. I will continue to do things that will work for them as individuals. I think back to Kentucky last year and all the things I did wrong. I did not trust myself and I paid the price. I condsider myself extremely lucky to have Jon, Jenn and Peter in my life where it is all a conversation. They will take my thoughts and feelings about the horses into consideration when advising me. It is just... so pleasant.

So there we go. That is what I have learned in a year. I'm hoping all my experiences will yield a much more positive result at this years' Rolex Kentucky CCI4*. If not... I'm going to bring the moonshine. And to the lovely people to bought me drinks at Jalapenos' in Lexington last year... can you plan to be there again? Just in case?

Cheers, kisses from Donald and Hewie.

4 comments:

  1. You are a special person, Katie Ruppel. GO Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be ready for celebratory drinks at Jalapenos this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The view of a California house layout brings to mind search, sand and plenty of sunlight.

    Florida Businesses for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be with you in Lexington in spirit and have a celebratory drink for you while watching from home. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete