Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gone bush

Greetings from california!! There is a saying in New Zealand that if you have run away, gone rogue, taken off, etc; you have gone "bush". We have certainly done that and more! The red boys and I made it safely to temecula for Galway, against all odds! Joes groom, Kate Harris, has come with me to help and she has been an absolute godsend. Our friend Adrian has also joined us on our gypsy quest, which he decided to do in the last 30 minutes before we left! Not sure that he has fully realized what he has committed to but he will soon find out! So far he has not asked us where the nearest Hilton is...

We set off on Saturday morning from Ocala in the pissing rain. We made it all the way to Arnaudville, Louisiana to stay at Kylie and Court Ramsay's beautiful Pharmview farm. The Ramsays' son Calvin has my Arriador to ride, they were off competing Training level at Holly Hill when we arrived but I will surely see them both on our return trip.

On to Sunday, our most difficult driving day. Today we tackled the entire state of Texas in one go. To my shock and surprise Adrian drove most of the day and did quite well. Not too bad for a city boy! He did however introduce us to the highlight of the drive tha day which was Bucee's beef jerky. We stayed the night at a cute farm outside of El Paso, where they marveled at my "Clydesdales" that were sporting "casts" on their feet! Hewie had a minor tweak-out in his pipie corral stall but he soon settled in for the night.

Here we are, Monday! We have somehow been accepted by multiple border patrol guards into the state of California! Donald and Hewie were thrilled to be off the trailer and into their big beautiful stalls at Galway Downs. We arrived at dusk so I did not get to see most of the venue although I have been told it is one of the best in the west. I also managed to pick up a job driving 6 pro logs out for the event to be used on the course. I have always brought my own horses but never my own jumps! So Big Red, Little Red and the course have arrived.

Still can't believe we have made it all the way to Califronia! These horses take us to some amazing places. I am forever grateful to have such unbelievable partners in Donald and Hewie, partners who allow me to go on these wild adventures. I will post an update tomorrow after I can get the boys out for a flat school and trot.

Xoxo

The crew

No comments:

Post a Comment